Sunday, October 16, 2011

Out on the Moor


Well, this week galloped by  -literally. I was working in my studio yesterday when I heard a strange crunching noise. I couldn’t place it right away. I could tell that it was something coming up our gravel drive, but it didn’t sound like a car and it didn’t sound like people walking either. I looked out of my window just in time to see a heard of wild ponies, about ten of them, walking up the drive and into the garden. They’re quite light footed. It wasn’t a plodding sound like you would expect  -more of a little tiptoe dancing sort of sound.
I shouted to Brian and we both ran out, arms spread wide, to try and chase them out the gate and back on to the lane. Luckily, we were in time to round them up before they had a chance to spread out and cause havoc. When we first moved to our house, many years ago, I loved it when the ponies came in, but now, having seen what they can do, the charm has worn thin. The first time they came in, they ate all of the newly planted roses and left hoof prints and pony droppings all over the garden. They always look so very guilty, as if they know exactly what they’ve done wrong, when we chase them away. I wish I’d had time to photograph them, but it was far more important to get them out!

Here’s a fine picture of Buster looking noble next to the stone lion creature. He knows he’s handsome!


We’ve been out on the moor again in the good weather. We came across this signpost. You’ll just have to imagine what goes on, on a “permissive” bridleway!



 This picture is of a small stone circle that is actually a ceremonial circle (as far as we 21st century people know) and not a hut circle where people lived. The stones are low and unimposing but it’s a strange place with strange energy. We always approach it with caution because people still use it for various purposes. This looks like – well, I’m not sure really (but nothing bad as far as I can tell). Interesting pattern though. The stone trough in the middle is a focal point for much of what ever goes on. I expect who ever put the coins there won’t mind a photo taken of them since they’re right out in the open. Hope it’s prosperity!



We have been meaning to visit Okehampton Castle for ages  - since spring actually. Unfortunately, it closes at the end of September and we’ll have to wait until spring again. This was taken from the road just by the gate. It’s an interesting, very early Norman castle and it’s said to be haunted by Lady Howard who rides out in a coach with a headless coachman. Now that would be worth seeing. Or maybe NOT!  Just a bit of ghoulish information for you all this week. I know it’s early for Halloween but why wait.


"My ladye hath a sable coach,
And horses two and four;
My ladye hath a black blood-hound
That runneth on before.
My ladye's coach hath nodding plumes,
The driver hath no head;
My ladye is an ashen white,
As one that long is dead.

"Now pray step in," my ladye saith,
"Now pray step in and ride."
I thank thee, I had rather walk
Than gather by thy side.
The wheels go round without a sound
Or tramp or turn of wheels;
As cloud at night, in pale moonlight,
Along the carriage steals.

I'd rather walk a hundred miles
And run by night and day
Than have the carriage halt for me
And hear the ladye say:
"Now pray step in, and make no din,
Step in with me and ride;
There's room I trow, by me for you,
And all the world beside.""



1 comment:

  1. He is one of the most handsome fellows I have ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete