Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Work in Progress

Saturday
Here is a photo of the piece I’m working on at the moment. It’s at the stage when I’m trying to decide if I like her hair this dark - it certainly stands out this way - or if I want to change it completely and give her very light blond hair to match her outfit or go light red. I think I like it this way. Hmmmm …I’ll keep you posted. 



Sunday 
I just felt that there was something wrong with the black hair. There was too much of a contrast between the clothing and her hair when it was so dark. I tried red and light golden red and finally decided on this very pale blond. I think it gives the ethereal quality to her that I was looking for - so - blond she is. 



Monday 
A few final touches and I think she’ll be finished. It’s always so interesting to me to have a figure“need” to change just when I think I’ve basically completed it. I was happy with the black hair until I walked away from it for a night and came back with a fresh eye in the morning. Then it was easy to see that I wasn’t going to achieve the effect I wanted until I changed the hair. Now she has the ethereal look I was going for in the first place.



12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Yes the blond hair completes her, she's like a little ray of light.. -Nina Lahtinen & Alphonso

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicate and etherial . . . and yet, when I first saw her with black hair and considered your thoughts of change, the old Latvian folktale sprang to mind: When the golden haired daughter of god made all the flowers, there were scraps of green felt in irregular shapes, where she had cut all the different leaves, left over and being frugal, she wanted to use them up. But what to use for a flower? So she cut off a little bunch of her golden hair and, hey presto, the dandelion was placed on earth to wander at will.
    In like mode, seeing your thumbnail next to your creation, it occurred to me that your hair was the ideal shade, perhaps another time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks like Cate Blanchett in Lord of the Rings. I also love the gesture of her hands. I assume you use photo or real life references? Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find that what I think I want and what the doll wants can be quite different. Usually the doll wins the discussion...they are so good at the silent treatment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the dark hair, until I saw the blonde and now I agree completely that she has an almost "effervescent" feeling to her... don't know how that word popped in to describe her, but it did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good shout on the blonde. Black was a bit strong.....in my humble opinion

    ReplyDelete
  7. she puts me in mind of terry windling! The face and the hair anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! The blonde hair gives her the ethereal look I think she wanted! Has she told you her name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. the last faerie is my favorite. truly beautiful. she looks like she would have awaken inside of an apple blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I liked the dark hair better. But looking at all three photos again, the blonde hair lightens her not only in color but in apparent weight. She floats more with the golden hair. Beautiful work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was positive I liked the black hair.....until I saw the blonde. She's lovely and very 'airy'.....weightless!

    ReplyDelete