Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mother Leap's Day Out

Over the past weekend, Brian and I attended Karen Kay’s Three Wishes Faery Festival in Cornwall. We knew that we were going to be talking in a tent (since it’s an outdoor festival with no place to project images) so we decided that we needed to bring someone along who could help us explain what we do and how we do it, and especially help us talk about the “Trolls” book. I looked around and asked various trolls how they felt about coming out for the weekend. Most of them (very wisely) decided to stay home. Mother Leap on the other hand, was delighted to have a nice day out (as she put it). Little did she know (and I didn’t want to tell her) that the weather forecast was particularly forbidding for Saturday. And so it proved. Galeforce winds, driving rain, mud. Not a fun time in Faeryland I’ll tell you. Mother Leap spent most of her time in a black plastic rubbish bag. But - although our bodies were damp and wind battered, our spirits were high. We had a great time with all of the wonderful faeries that came out to play at the festival. Mother Leap came out of her plastic bag for the lecture and loved the attention as well. 
At the Lecture

Sunday was SO much better! Sun and no wind. Mother Leap once again came with us but she was able to be out in the open in her own basket, making the rounds of the attendees and stall holders and once again participating in the talk we gave. She thoroughly enjoyed it all! Here are a few pictures of the event. 

Wendy with Mother Leap

Brian and the toadstools
I seem to spend my time at the back of crowds so I never really get many good photos of what’s actually happening. Our friend Emily Carding was taking part in the world record -breaking event of fairies gathered together in one place – all with (as stipulated in the Guiness book of records) wands, wings and tutus. You’ll have to imagine the rest of them – all 200 and something.
Emily Carding 

 Anyway - wind, rain or not, it was a truly fun event. Thanks SO much Karen for inviting us to be a part of it! Mother Leap thanks you too. She can’t wait to get out again. There’ll be no stopping her now!
Karen, Wendy, and Mother Leap


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous time! Glad Mother Leap had a bit of vacation :) Is that a Moresca coat that Brian is wearing? I've been wanting one for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am writing a story about Fae Folk that takes place in Cornwall. Do you have any recommendations to inspire me more with my story (books, music, web sites, etc.)? You and Mr. Froud have been a major influence in my life since I was a child, and now with my story. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother Leap is simply enchanting! I think I may be captivated...Thank you! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday, I promise myself I will go to one of these festivals. Probably not in a tutu, but still . .. Sorry the weather didn't hold out. But I'm glad it turned around somewhat--and I love your toadstools! Er, I did NOT mean that the way it sounded! LOL.

    ReplyDelete